The changes to the economic system led to the merger of all existing Glashütte watchmaking companies in July 1951. After German reunification, the Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH was entered into the commercial register on 16th October 1990. The company became the official legal successor to the majority of the watchmaking enterprises that had existed in Glashütte since the end of the Second World War.
A tumultuous history - Glashütte Original
A tumultuous history
Both world wars left their mark on Glashütte, putting the tenacity and steadfastness of the Glashütte townspeople to the test. Thanks to their adaptability, ingenuity and respect for tradition, they enabled their artisan craft to evolve further, despite the difficult economic and political circumstances.