The School Flag returns home
The Flag of the German School of Watchmaking Glashütte to be visited again in the German Watch Museum Glashütte
After elaborately conservation, the flag of the German School of Watchmaking Glashütte can be viewed again for the first time in a small exhibition in the entrance hall of the German Watch Museum Glashütte.
The watchmaker Moritz Großmann had the idea to open a watchmaking school in Glashütte. It became reality on May 1, 1878. The German School of Watchmaking Glashütte was initially opened in the rooms of the local elementary school. Three years later, the lessons in the building for the school continued already in the newly erected building which houses the German Watch Museum Glashütte nowadays.
In 1888, former and learning students collected money and donated a flag for the school on the occasion of the school’s 10th anniversary. Until the 1930s, the flag was presented as official sign of the watchmaking school during public events and celebrations. During the time of restructuring the German School of Watchmaking Glashütte into the Engineering School for Precision Mechanics, the flag got lost.
The school flag came into possession of the former watchmaking student Kurt Herkner at a meeting of former students of the watchmaking school in the 1980s. On December 7, 1995, he donated it at the town Glashütte on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of watchmaking and his honorary citizenship. With the opening of the museum in 2008, the school flag returned in its point of action.
The exhibition provides an insight into the history of the flag and informs on the numerous work steps during the conservation with the help of before and after pictures. Until January 8, 2017, the exhibition can be visited in the entrance hall of the Watch Museum daily from 10am to 5pm.